Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 02:22:27 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Martin Karlsson" <martin.karlsson@visit.se>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: this spam

yes, they do.  I hate to be the one to tell you but if you send out 100's
of millions of e-mail messages your going to get one or two suckers that will
respond.

There was a very good site run by "Rolf" a while back that dealt specifically
with Make Money Fast spams. (MMF)  He specialized in collecting MMF's and
printing them out and mailing them to the US Postmasters who were responsible
for the addresses that the spammers where listing in the MMF's to send money
to.  (a quick FYI it doesen't cost you anything to send mail to the
postmaster)  Often, the postmasters would set a "watch" on the addresses
(invariably
these are PO boxes to prevent the victims from finding out who was really
getting
the money) and many people were caught.  (it's a federal crime to use the
Postal System to receive money from pyramind schemes)  Anyway, he had a number
of testimonials from contrite former spammers who reported response rates
in the .000001 - .000002 % range from MMF spams.  (as if the miserable
response
rates somehow made it so what they were doing wasn't illegal)

This is just one more of those schemes where the thief spends thousands of
dollars
of other people's money so he can get $20.  It's no different than the people
that bust into your car with a crowbar and cause $2K worth of damage smashing
your dashboard to extract a stereo that they can sell to a pawnshop for $20.

> So, how do spammers make enough money to be able to keep
>on spamming?

They don't "make" money, you need to adjust your terminology there.  They
steal
it.

Another common scam is setting a website up with banner adverts on it, then
spamming the world with an e-mail with the site URL in it.  People often will
go to the site to get the spammers real e-mail address and their site access
will increment the banner advertisement counter and put another .0001 cent in
the account of the spammer.  If that ever happens to you you always want to
take
the time to e-mail the advertiser in the banner as to what's going on, so
they can pull their advertising from the spammers website.