Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 09:47:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        mika ruohotie <bsdchat@shadows.aeon.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: annoying spammers...

We have the domain html.com.  We have had it for over 3 years now, but
recently millions of spam messages have gone out on the net with a from
line of 1234567@html.com (the address is always some random number).  All
the bounce messages come our server, despite the fact that we didn't send
them.  I had to remove the server's ability to recieve mail at html.com
about 2 weeks ago, as it was getting several hundred return mails a
minute.  It now routes all mail to <number>@html.com to /dev/null.  Not
that it stops my mailbox from filling up with requests from people who
don't know how to read a fscking header who send mail to us whining about
being removed from our lists.  *sigh*

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 29, 1997 at 12:22:17AM +0200, mika ruohotie wrote:
> > uh, i think this would go best here on chat, it's an isp issue too,
> > but not really, i dunno.
> >
> > anyway, just a question if anyone else have noticed that their
> > domain has been used in spamming. i mean, not as a relay, but as
> > a NAME.
>
> Yes, it happened to me last night.  Something in uunet was using my
> mail servers (freebie.lemis.com and allegro.lemis.com) to send out
> spam.  I stopped the mail server on allegro (which is really just
> running a high-pri MX), and left these headers in the spool:
>
> V2
> T880710622
> K880717164
> N5
> P1114943
> I0/4/731
> MDeferred: 451 <WebSecrets@WebSecrets.Net>... Domain must resolve
> $rSMTP
> $sALLEGRO.LEMIS.COM
> $_1Cust80.tnt18.atl2.da.uu.net [153.36.118.80]
> S<WebSecrets@WebSecrets.Net>
> RPFD:<carolyn5@ix.netcom.com>
> H?P?Return-Path: <WebSecrets@WebSecrets.Net>
> HReceived: from ALLEGRO.LEMIS.COM (1Cust80.tnt18.atl2.da.uu.net [153.36.118.80])
>         by allegro.lemis.com (8.8.7/8.8.5) with SMTP id UAA15710;
>         Fri, 28 Nov 1997 20:20:22 +1030 (CST)
> H?D?Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 20:20:22 +1030 (CST)
> H?F?From: WebSecrets@WebSecrets.Net
> H?M?Message-Id: <199711280950.UAA15710@allegro.lemis.com>
> HSubject: Search Engine Secrets
> .
>
> I installed hub's version of sendmail.cf, added WebSecrets.Net and
> SecretsOfTheNet.Com (another one) to the black list.  They tried
> again, were rejected, and apparently gave up.  I've sent complaints to
> uunet--let's see how far they get.
>
> > mickey "yes, i'm fucking frustrated"
>
> Yup, I was pretty angry, too.
>
> Greg

Jamie Bowden
Systems Administrator, iTRiBE.net

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.

	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)