Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:40:54 +0100
From:      Dean Lombardo <dlombardo@excite.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   notebook ZV port support?

My notebook (AMS Tech Rodéo 3072 ECX) has a thing called "ZV port",
which apparently is somehow internally connected to the C&T 65555 video
chip, and supports things like MPEG decoders, live video input, video
capture, etc.   According to http://www.pc-card.com/papers/zv.htm,  ZV
(Zoomed Video) is a dedicated bus, or a connection between a PC-card and
host system that allows the card to write video data directly into the
VGA frame buffer.

Now all this sounds real good, and complete documentation on the 65555
chip is available from C&T's web site:
	http://www.chips.com/design/graphics/mobilegraphics/datashts/

However, I have been so far unable to find a CCD camera that can be
plugged into the ZV port on my notebook, and the responses I got from
AMS Tech were completely useless - the bottom line was "we have no idea
what you're talking about, get a USB camera like everyone else".

Moreover, the 65555 datasheet is very clear - I think if I had a camera
connected to the port, I could write a device driver for it - that is,
provided such a thing is possible in the first place.

Bearing the aforesaid in mind, I have several questions:

1) Can the ZV port on my notebook really be used for video capture, or
is it one of those things that was designed to be used in many different
ways in the future, but as of yet nothing?

2) If this is indeed possible, is there such a thing as "ZV camera" - or
does it have to be used in conjunction with a PC card?

3) If a PC Card is needed, how do all these things (PC Card, ZV port,
camera) get connected?   (Or is there supposed to be some internal
connection between the PCMCIA/Cardbus PCI bridge and the ZV port in
order to identify the special "ZV" type of PC Cards?)

I've heard that some Toshiba notebooks also have ZV ports - anyone out
there have any ZV experience?

Thanks,

Dean