Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 03:50:06 -0700
From:      David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   lp0 laplink gateway?

I'm having troubles trying to get a machine on one side of
a laplink to go route through the other side.  Here's what I've
got:

machine1 (ip1) is a laptop with a laplink parallel cable.
machine2 (ip2) is a desktop with a laplink connected to machine1
and an ethernet card connecting to a hub and ultimately to a
router (ip3) that connects to the outside world.

on machine1 I have:
ifconfig_lp0="inet ip1 ip2 netmask 0xffffff00"
defaultrouter="ip2"

on machine2 I have:
ifconfig_lp0="inet ip2 ip1 netmask 0xffffff00"
ifconfig_de0="inet ip2 netmask 0xffffff00"
defaultrouter="ip3"

I'm running "routed -s" on machine2.

on machine1, I can ping ip2 successfully, but i can't ping ip3.
on machine2, I can ping ip1 and ip2.

shouldn't ip1 be able to reach ip3 and the rest of the LAN and/or
internet?

can someone tell me whether I'm doing this right or wrong?
I've studied the handbook, but to no avail.

thanks!
-david kulp.