Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:26:34 -0500
From:      Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Tyler K McGeorge <treznor@sunflower.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for Yoda

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 05:15:27PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:

>Attitude is everything. If your attitude is that you are somehow owed
>a place on the project, that's inappropriate. If you ask if there is
>something you can do, that's perfectly appropriate. The text you chose
>is somewhere between those two positions.

I apologize if I came across as if I am owed anything, I definitely do
not feel that way at all. I feel I owe more to the FreeBSD community
than anyone owes me.

>Of course, there *are* projects that don't have as steep a learning
>curve as vinum. You're more likely to find a place on those.

I was just using vinum for the sake of an example, but I definitely
agree with you on this point.

>> Now this is something what I would be interested in. I mean, there has
>> to be lots of stuff that is easy, a little more mundane for an
>> experienced FreeBSD programmer, but perfect for someone who was just
>> starting out. For example, I would be perfectly happy writing
>> makefiles, tweaking/writing a man page, or adding a tiny new
>> feature/switch to an existing utility.
>
>Some of this is stuff you can just *do*. For instance, if you notice
>that some question is showing up on -questions frequently but there
>isn't a FAQ entry, write one. For man pages, if you notice a command
>or file doesn't have a man page - just write one. For the latter you
>need to have a copy of -current running, but you can dual boot -stable
>and -current. They can even share swap, ports and /usr/local, though
>the last takes some work.

Ok. If I decided that I wanted to change/enhance somthing, what would
be the proper channels to have it sent to the right person?

>Well, the things on the projects page should have project coordinators
>listed. That's the person who would assign you small things, and the
>one you should contact.

Ok, thanks, I will have to start looking at this page a little more in
depth and see if I can find something that is both appropriate and
interesting.

--
Damien Tougas
Systems Administrator