Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:20:52 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCIOCGETCONF/PCIOCREAD requires write permission?

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 12:07:49AM -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> > I thought the space staked out by the *BSD gang was approximately
> > this:
> >   NetBSD - the least amount of platform-specific code possible; run
> >   on most anything
> >   OpenBSD - pro-active security, bullet-proof from attacks
> >   FreeBSD - best performing on the Intel PC platform
>
> s/the Intel PC/server/  The Alpha has very good I/O bandwidth and 64-bit
> address space.  Thus it fits our niche.  You also mentioned Sparc, but
> really should have said sparc64(pci based).
>
> hopefully embeded soon too.

Yep, "server" is much more to the point. And not simply best performing,
but we also strive to be user-friendly.

The bottomline is that we, of the BSDs, do *not* have a focus. We want
to support good servers and good desktops and good notebooks, we want to
provide performance and user friendlyness. We do not care about being
ported to every hardware platform under sun, and we do not go out of our
way to provide security. Thus, NetBSD and OpenBSD have the edge on us on
these respects, but we gain by providing a better overall enviroment on
the platforms we support. The problem is that you can't one-line that.
:-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

		"The bronze landed last, which canceled that method of impartial
choice."