Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 02:47:32 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic mount root failed

Env:

Yesterday I went to a friends house for installing a box from the freebsd
3.0-release cdrom (I have also the src and obj very current on another cd
to do a quick make installword :-).

He has :
1 hd master (A) + 1 cdrom slave on primary ch.
1 hd master (B) + 1 zip atapi slave on secundary ch.

on (A) there is a primary win98 partition. on (B) there is a fat partition
on wd2s1 and a freebsd installation on wd2s2a.

The installation procedure was fine, but at the next reboot it can't mount
the root fs because it tries to  mount / on wd1s2a even if in /etc/fstab
there is wd2s2a ! I think it is  a problem related to the fact that the
cdrom make confusion on the routine that have to find the hd & slice number...

everything was fine after adding a boot config with 1:wd(2,a)kernel

Is it a known problem or I miss something ?

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it