Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 12:51:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make clean problem (was: Perl gv.h Problem)

> Something is hosed.

cvsup says the files are up-to-date.  I moved the Makefiles and the
mk files to tmp, and, did a cvsup.  The cvsup'ed files are the same.

*default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all
src-eBones
src-secure
ports-all

> Do this:
>
> # cd /usr/obj
> # chflags -R 0 .

Most of the files in /usr/obj/... do not have flags set.  I did not
check all, just the ones make said it removed.

> # rm -rf *

I know how to delete the obj tree.  However, 'make clean' should do it.
It looks like the make files do not have the directory structure correct.

> # cd /usr/src
> # make cleandir; make cleandir

If the first 'make cleandir' doesn't do it, the second one will not do
better.

> # cvsup <however you do it> # MAKE 100% SURE YOUR SUPFILE IS CORRECT!!
> # make aout-to-elf-buildworld

As I said earlier, I am running an elf kernel and elf binaries.  I
just want to report a suspected problem with the make structure.