Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2013 08:03:39 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: somewhat OT ... in parts

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:27:38 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	one question I have may solve the problem of vim displaying
> 	all the ^/search terms and displaying them in some color.
> 	the default brown is awful, but dark blue isn't much bbetter.

If you try :colorscheme blue you can see that the results have
orange background with dark text (maybe black?), while the editor
background is blue (as the name of the color scheme suggests).

> 	So: can I add something to my ~/.vimrc that =limits=
> 	the "search" to displaying one term?  if I am searching for,
> 	say, "the" or I guess /\<the\>, I dont want every "the" in my
> 	file.  I want only  one.   or one at a time, and not necessarily
> 	in color.

If you have :set hlsearch activated, all (visible) matches will
be highlighted, and the cursor will be placed at the first match.

I don't see an option to highlight the _next_ result only. However,
if you do _not_ set hlsearch, searching and continuing searching
will not highlight anything, instead let the cursor skip to the
next match (tried here with "gvim /COPYRIGHT", /this, /, /, / and
so on), with :set nohlsearch for testing.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany