Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 23:05:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        stefan@promo.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA-PnP w\o BIOS support?

Luigi Rizzo writes:
> > I agree with Stefan's sentiment. It seems like this should be
> > the paradigm:
> >     device   foo0 port 0x220 irq 7 vector foointr
>
> i notice you did not put the "at isa?" specification -- is this
> deliberate or not ? because in this case one could differentiate
> between legacy isa and PnP stuff.

Not deliberate.. just forgot :-)

> In any case there are two major problems in my view:
> 1) to do automatic resource assignment you'd need to know which
>    resources are available. Maybe the bios knows (more or less, since
>    legacy isa devices with no driver cannot be easily detected, and the
>    PnP detection of conflicts i am not sure how well it works),
>    but i have no idea on how to fetch this info

Couldn't the config file account for all of the resources in use?
This might require adding some "dummy" entries or .. ?

I mean, if the kernel doesn't know about some interrupt being used,
then who else is using it and what the heck for? I guess I don't
completely understand this issue.

> 2) providing a configuration in the kernel config file via "device..."
>    entry is hard, since a single pnp device can have 8 io ports, 2 drq, 2
>    irq, 4 memory addresses ... how do you fit this info in the few bits
>    available on the "device" line ?

Fix "config" to handle it. In the meantime, don't support devices
that use more than the "normal" number of resources.

-Archie