Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:56:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RANDOMDEV inspired realitycheck regarding i386/i486...

> If no /entropy is found it takes a full minute to do the randomdev
> seeding during boot on a P5/133.
> Has anybody run a 486 or 386 under current recently ?
> Have we defacto discontinued them from current ?
> I can see the advantage for the SMPng people in dropping the 386/486
> and I'm approaching the level where I would be willing to say: "Sorry,
> stick with 4.x for i386/i486".

I would be strongly opposed to this. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that
people should take the time to make the 486 cpu option switch to a faster
random device.

The ability to run on commodity hardware is, in my view, an important
feature. Already, I am seeing FreeBSD suitable for installation on a
decreasing number of commodity boxes I have lying about. I would not
like for this trend to continue.

If we decide to abandon the old x86en, we should certainly take it all the
way and put more resources into Sparc, Cray et al, rather than sticking
with a middle ground.

Marius