Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:32:29 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Design and Implemenations of FreeBSD

On or about Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 12:00 , while attempting a
Zarathustra emulation freebsd-hackers-request@freebsd.org thus spake:

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:15:07 +0000
> From: "klowd9 -" <klowd92@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Kernel documentation and specification

> >Reading the CVS logs for the relevant files should give you
> >ideas about who might be able to answer your questions.
> >However, you shouldn't expect that people have time to answer
> >lots of questions. Of course, it helps if your interest is in
> >the context of contributing something back to the project.

> >Kirk's book, ``The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD
> >Operating System'' probably contains the answers to basic
> >questions about scheduling and IPC.

> I considered purchasing that book, which is very very good
> imo, but a bit overpriced at $60.. Any other resources about
> kernel development, and to whom may i speak with to help me get
> started..

Considering it's coming from a publisher which specializes in
technical books and many of theirs are used in college courses
it's a typical price.

However - with one or two rare exceptions - I've bought almost
all my tech books dealing with computers from Bookpool.

http://www.bookpool.com

They currently have McKusick's book in stock at $33.95.  The other
BSD books are also priced similarly.

I have no relationship with Bookpool other than being a very
satisfied customer and always go there first for any tech book.

I even managed to get the O'Reilly 4.4BSD books from them - the set
of five - for about $100 - when they were still in print.

Highly recommended.  This month they are having an 'Open Source'
sale with 43% discounts - over 700 books.

I hate to think how much I've spent on computer books in the past
20 years or so - but it's in the thousands.  Sort of a college
educations at home.   I still have my first Unix books - the Bell
Labs Unix Programmers Manuals - that got me hooked on Unix.

Total pages on that entire system was less than that of part I
of SysV.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com