Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:31:04 -0500
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   making /usr/share/mk apps PREFIX-independant???

--8w3uRX/HFJGApMzv

[posted to -arch, and CC'd to hackers since I have no idea as to where
this belongs, please redirect if necessary]

Hi.

As a developper working in the FreeBSD/ports paradigm, and developping
exclusively for FreeBSD through the libh project, it has come to my
attention that applications developped through /usr/share/mk Makefiles
(in particular bsd.prog.mk and bsd.lib.mk) do not respect PREFIX.=20

That is, the libh Makefiles, as set now, install in /usr no matter what.
There is no real alternative. Setting DESTDIR will install in
/${DESTDIR}/usr, without changing the PREFIX (/usr).=20

In other words, apps developped using /usr/share/mk makefiles are
incompatible with the ports collection PREFIX-independance paradigm.

That sucks.

This is a problem which must be solved. As a hack, the libh port uses a
custom install target in the ports skeleton (ie, it doesn't use libh
install targets).

How I see it, the .mk files must be hacked. One could try such a replace
pattern, I guess: s!install(.*)${DESTDIR}!install\1${PREFIX}/${DESTDIR}!

I tried to produce a significant patch, and I failed. I do not
understand how some files end up in /bin and some other in /usr/bin.

If someone can help me with that, I will happily start hacking on the mk
files, but in the meantime, I'm lost.

thanks,

A.

--8w3uRX/HFJGApMzv