Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 23:06:49 +0000
From:      David Murphy <drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Voxware is toast.  Get used to it.  (Re: Suggestions for improving newpcm performance?)

Quoting <Pine.BSF.4.21.0003211039360.29182-100000@freefall.freebsd.org>
by Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>:

> > Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of commercial unix
> > OSes, Sun for example, and I use this example because I'm familiar
> > with them, put out an Early Access version of Solaris 8 some
> > months before formally releasing Solaris 8. Effectively, this is
> > the same timescale FreeBSD is going to run on, but the early
> > access version is labelled -RELEASE.

> No, the early-access version is labelled 4.0-RC1. If you're not
> willing to jump on board during the testing phase when we say "okay,
> we think this is pretty much ready unless anyone finds bugs in the
> next 30 days (which turned into over 2 months in the end)", then
> don't complain when 4.0 is released and you find a bug that could
> have been fixed earlier. It's as simple as that - if there are bugs
> we don't get alerted about during the publicized "prerelease" cycle
> (and thanks to all those who *did* jump on board and help us improve
> the quality of 4.0!), then they'll have to be fixed post-release.

Yes, that's all fine, and although I'm sure you'd rather not believe
me, I understand that perfectly well. What I *am* complaining about is
people who answer "Hey, there's this bug in X.0-RELEASE" with "Well,
X.0-RELEASE is out there for people who are willing to jump on board
during the testing phase, didn't you know that? Fool.".

Basically, I'm saying stop using the "It's a test release"
justification once it goes to -RELEASE.

> > As opposed to what? People staying away from x.0-RELEASE in
> > droves, because they find out it's a beta, AFTER they've been
> > confused by the naming policy?

> As others have pointed out, it's not a "beta" - but it *is* new
> technology which must be expected to have some bugs. This is the
> case *all over the computer industry* - every dot-zero release has
> some level of bugginess, because by definition the dot-zero means
> it's got a lot of new code in it, and humans are bad programmers.

> If you don't understand this reality, then you've either been conned
> by the marketing apparati of big companies into thinking that
> dot-zero releases only contain wonderful new features that you
> really need, or you don't understand this game we're in all that
> well.

Yes, I know. I didn't just fall crawl out of the primordial soup and
start posting to freebsd-stable - I *do* expect bugs in each and every
version of each and ever OS to grace the face of the planet, but I do
*not* expect to have "It's only a test release" shouted at me when I
complain about something that's been -RELEASE-d.

> <sarcasm> Perhaps if we ran multimedia ads across the world and
> charged people exorbitant license fees for the upgrade then they'd
> be happier.
> </sarcasm>

Well, at least you don't have to listen to them accuse you of being
totaly fscking clueless when you dare to point out a problems
post-release.

--
When asked if it is true that he uses his wheelchair as a weapon he will reply:
"That's a malicious rumour. I'll run over anyone who repeats it."