Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 21:37:55 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Sue Bauer-Lee <sblee@eeyore.taz.tac.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bulding new versions

On Sun, Mar 01, 1998 at 01:32:13PM -0500, Sue Bauer-Lee wrote:

> > > for the FreeBSD distribution? Can I not compile and install software of MY
> > > choice? As indicated, I've run into problems using ports structure and
> > > independantly of the ports structure.
> >
> > I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but the answer is, of
> > course, "sure you can."
>
> One would think. So far, most things I've tried to compile outside of the
> ports structure finds missing libraries, header files, etc.... Example -
> Briam has copies of pertinent info. Please don't be so quick to jump. He
> answered first and has the most info - I didn't anticipate a while group -
> but this is GOOD. :) The short of it - when tryting to compile the newer
> version of XFCE OUTSIDE ports structure, it was unable to locate
> 	a) libsx.h because the 'package' expected it to be in one place when in
>        fact it was a level deeper something like /usr/X11R6/include/X11/libsx
>        as opposed to /usr/X11R6/include/X11.
>     b) /usr/lib/libofrms.a - NOT xforms but forms, I beleive which is part
>        of the ncurses devel 'package'. Since I had installed Linux compat
>        stuff, I created a link so that the 'package' could find the library.
>        Problem became unresolved references - possibly a non-existent
>        header file.

This is probably because the ports-collection generally try to clean up
everything to follow FreeBSD directory conventions.  This keep your system
'clean', but might make it harder to use limited autoconf-scripts.

The problem is usually not significant, as most major programs exists as
ports, and most configure-scripts aren't limited.  But if neither of these
assertions hold true, you'll have slightly more problems than if you'd
installed a non-port version of the program your problematic
configure-script is probing for.

I didn't quite get your m4-problem - it might be that you have a wrong
version installed compared to what things depend on?  Dependencies for ports
are on explict versions, which can often be annoying.

Eivind.