Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:43:56 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        igorr@speechpro.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Am I forced to install Xfree86?

On 30 Nov 2001, at 9:50, Igor Roboul boldly uttered:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 06:51:26AM -0800, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> > requires retrieving 30MB of Xfree86 files, compiling and installing,
> > on a machine that doesn't run X?  It seems to have something to do
> Check /usr/ports/net/mtr/Makefile and you'll see
> WANT_GTK=       yes

OK, so what if:

A) I don't know what GTK is
B) I don't know what changing that to "no" will do to the
   functionality of the port I'm trying to install

Not to be annoying, but the ports are promoted as a simple
way of installing preconfigured programs. I don't think that
positioning is consistent with the implication that everyone is
an expert about various options that appear in makefiles, because if
so, why not just compile the thing from scratch and forget the port?

How difficult would it be in the case of a program like mtr which can
run perfectly fine without X, to place a question in the script where
it stops and asks "would you like to include X-Windows support?"?

This particular case is certainly not an isolated one in this regard.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium