Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 10:08:50 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Gina1642@aol.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I can't get port to make.

Gina1642@aol.com wrote:

> I have freebsd 4.2.  The packages are installed.

Do you mean the ports? Packages are ready-to-run software that you use
either sysinstall, or the pkg_add command to quickly add to your system.
The ports system is a tree of configuration information that allows you
to quickly install sofware from the source code.

> On page 116 of the third
> edition
> The complete FreeBDS book,it explains how to get the distfiles, I tried the
> examples
> but no results. The system was trying to make an internet connection. What
> am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing. First, make sure the CD-ROM is in the drive before
trying to make the port. Before starting the build, make sure the CD-ROM
is mounted to the directory /cdrom If your using IDE, a command like
this should suffice:
mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom
(make sure to umount it when you're done)
Then try to make the port. Keep in mind that if the port software is not
on the CD (and not all ports are, for various reasons) the make command
will automatically try to look on the internet for you. This can be
frustrating if you have a slow internet link.
Another alternative is to download the required files manually. If you
put the files in /usr/ports/distfiles, the make program will find them
there before checking the CD-ROM or the internet.
Also, read this section of the handbook, which has an excellent
explanation on how ports and packages work:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

-Bill