Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:45:57 GMT
From:      efinley@efinley.com (Elliot Finley)
To:        James Barry <techie@zeus.anet-dfw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP

Just set up FreeBSD 2.2.8 on your Intel hardware.  64 megs ram is
enough, although more is always better. :-)  Buy a Portmaster PM25 for
about $400.  Use exim for your smtp MTA, use cucipop for your pop3
access.  Use apache 1.3.3 for your web server.  Use ProFTP for your
FTP access.  Set up DNS/BIND.  Buy an old Cisco for your edge router.
(~$400).  Buy a BAT electronics CSU/DSU for $370.  They are very ugly,
but they work good.  Buy a horde of used analog modems for cheap and
you're ready to roll.

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 09:55:35 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

>www.amazing.com used to have docs for setting up an ISP with a pentium
>w/128 megs of ram and freeBSD, but they replaced it with some extremely
>expensive SGI stuff.  I'd like to start one with the BSD/Intel platform.
>Do you know where I can obtain those plans?  Perhaps someone has an old
>copy of what amazing.com used to put out, or perhaps I'm writing to the
>source?
>
>Thanks.

     Later
        Science (efinley@efinley.com)