Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:59:38 +0200
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk@sgi.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux JDK 1.3 and hotspot (native threads)

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 09:32:58PM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Georg-W. Koltermann writes:
>
> <...>
>  > In order to get real performance I would like to run either the SUN
>  > JDK with -hotspot, or the IBM 1.3 JVM.  Both of these use native linux
>  > threads.  With a recent -current I can successfully execute small JAVA
>  > test programs, but when I start a real application (e.g. Together from
>  > togethersoft.com), it fails with a core dump.
>
> <...>
>
> Can you try the kernel patch in
>
> It sounds like this is going to get committed soon, but I'd like to
> know if it has any affect on your problem.

Hi Drew,

I tried the patch and found it makes no difference.  The current SUN
JVM (1.3.0_02) gives the SIG11 as I indicated before.  The latest IBM
JVM (IBM build cx130-20010329) hangs around and eats up CPU time.  It
mostly eats system time (usage is about 8% user, 91% system).  A
normal kill is ineffective, I have to send it a -9 in order to
terminate.

> Also, are there any non commercial apps that demonstrate the problem?
> Or at least things that I don't have to sign my life away to get
> access to?

Hmm, I don't use any.  We are developing a large-scale JAVA servlet
application, and that one provokes the SIG11, too.  Moneydance, a
shareware finance manager that I once evaluated
(http://www.seanreilly.com), seems to run ok.

If you really want to invest the time, you might go to
togethersoft.com and download their product.  They will send you an
evaluation license as soon as you download the product, without any
further request.  But it's a big application, and you won't have any
use for it unless you develop a large-scale JAVA application.

--
Regards,
Georg.