Date:      Tue, 09 Feb 2010 16:02:59 +0100
From:      "Svein Skogen (Listmail Account)" <svein-listmail@stillbilde.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware for home use large storage

On 09.02.2010 15:37, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
*SNIP*

> I can't agree with the last statement about HP's iLO. I have addon card
> in ML110 G5 (dedicated NIC), the card is "expensive" and bugs are
> amazing. The management NIC freezes once a day (or more often) with
> older firmware and must be restarted from inside the installed system by
> IPMI command on "localhost". With newer firmware, the interface is
> periodicaly restarded. The virtual media doesn't work at all. It is my
> worst experience with remote management cards.
> I believe that other HP servers with built-in card with different FW is
> working better, this is just my experience.
>
> Next one is eLOM in Sun Fire X2100 (shared NIC using bge + ASF). ASF
> works without problem, but virtual media works only if you are
> connecting by IP address, not by domain name (from Windows machines) and
> there is some issue with timeouts of virtual media / console.
> I reported this + 8 different bugs of web management interface to Sun
> more than year ago - none was fixed.
>
> Next place is for IBM 3650 + RSA II card (dedicated NIC). Expensive,
> something works, somthing not. For example the card can't read CPU
> temperature, so you will not recieve any alert in case of overheating.
> (it was 2 years ago, maybe newer firmware is fixed)
>
> Then I have one Supermicro Twin server 6016TT-TF with built-in IPMI /
> KVM with dedicated NIC port. I found one bug with fan rpm readings (half
> the number compared to BIOS numbers) and one problem with FreeBSD 7.x
> sysinstall (USB keyboard not working, but sysinstall from 8.x works
> without problem). In installed FreeBSD system keyboard and virtual media
> is working without problems.
>
> On the top is Dell R610 DRAC (dedicated NIC) - I didn't find any bugs
> and there are a lot more features compared to concurrent products.

I think the general consensus here is "nice theory lousy
implementation", and the added migraine of no such thing as a common
standard.

Maybe creating a common standard for this could be a nice GSOC project,
to build a nice "remote console" based on SSH and arm/mips?

p.s. I've seen the various proprietary remote console solutions. They
didn't really impress me much, so I ended up using off-the-shelf
components for building my servers. Not necessarily cheaper, but at
least it's under _MY_ control.

//Svein

- --
- --------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein@d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | svein@jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | svein@stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail@stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein@jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mobile@stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/