Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 07:30:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Stanislav Shalunov <shalunov@lynxhub.lz.att.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/10377: `make' in ports does not honor {f,ht}tp_proxy settings

The following reply was made to PR ports/10377; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Stanislav Shalunov <shalunov@lynxhub.lz.att.com>
To: hetzels@westbend.net (Scot W. Hetzel)
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:18:28 -0500 (EST)

 Scot W. Hetzel has written:

 > I have used fetch behind a firewall, and if the {F,HT}TP_PROXY variables are
 > defined, fetch will retrieve the file through the proxy server.

 > The problem is that ftp & fetch both use different environment variables for
 > the proxy servers.

 > According to the man page for ftp, it says to uses ftp_proxy, http_proxy
 > environment variables to access servers through a proxy server.

 > While the man page for fetch, says to use FTP_PROXY, HTTP_PROXY environment
 > variables to access servers through a proxy server.

 Scot,

 I am not sure you have paid attention to the fact that ftp and fetch
 use different FTP proxy protocols: ftp(1) just retrieves file via HTTP
 in the usual manner; fetch(1) expects proxy to talk the FTP protocol
 and to forward requests further.

 Everyone has the first kind of proxy around; nobody has this arcane
 second kind.

 The variables are called differently *for a reason*!  I don't have
 anything appropriate for FTP_PROXY.  I do have something that can serve
 as ftp_proxy.

 --
 		stanislav shalunov@lynxhub.att.com   |   732-576-3252