Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:36:08 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Juha Korkiakangas <sfp2011@post.netlink.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MasqDialer for FreeBSD?

Juha Korkiakangas wrote:

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> >
> > Juha Matias Korkiakangas <sfp2011@post.netlink.se> writes:
> >
> > > I'm setting up FreeBSD-router for my windows-clients. Anyway,
> > > windows-clients are timing out waiting ppp-link
> > > to come up. I know Linux have somekind server-client
> > > system to bring up link from clients. How can this done with
> > > Freebsd(3.3-release) or can it be done? Any ides?
> >
> > It *sounds* like you're just talking about doing dial-on-demand.  The
> > '-auto' option to ppp(8) does this.  If that's not what you're after,
> > you'll need to be more specific about what you're after.
> >
> >  - Lowell Gilbert
>
> I'm using 'ppp -auto -alias myISP' right now, that's nice when i'm using
> FreeBSD. Anyway, i have Windows98 and Windows2000-clients on my network.
> When i start browser on Windows98/2000, my Freebsd-router starts
> Calling/connecting to my ISP, as usually. Bad thing is,
> connecting take's too long time and Netscape/IE in WIN98/2000 gives me
> "Server could no reach" or "Netscape is unable to locate server
> www.freebsd.org".
> What i need is something i can connect from Windows98/2000-clients to
> myISP and start browser after that. For Linux there is
> mserver(http://cpwright.villagenet.com/mserver), maybe there is
> something like that for FreeBSD too.

I have close to the same environment. It turns out that FreeBSD's
user-ppp connects much faster than 2000 RRAS/nat does. A second or 2
is much faster when you are talking about a browser timing out. If you
don't like it timing out and clicking ok, I use an alias that ping's
my ISP. You only need about 10 seconds and can start your browser
after the first time out. I add "-w 10000" to the ping to allow 10
second timeouts. Something is wrong if I see more than 2 or 3
timeouts. I also had to add "-n 10" to the pings to allow setiathome
to work almost everytime.

You could also automate this and create an Icon that pings your ISP
before it fires up the browser.

Kent

> Thank's
> Juha