Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:48:58 +0100
From:      Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   USB stalled errors

Good day (or night, if more appropriate),

I'm seeing these for a while now, it's time to see if it can be fixed :P

I have a setup where a KVM/USB switch (Gefen 2x1 DVI switcher) is
connected to my athlon64 machine, which is connected to yet another
hub in my TFT display to which my keyboard and mouse are connected.

Schematically the USB devices are connected like this:
  Athlon64 --- KVM switch --- Display --- Keyboard
  Mac -------/                        \-- Mouse

While booting I see messages like these:

uhub3: vendor 0x04b4 product 0x6560, class 9/0, rev 2.00/0.09, addr 2
uhub3: multiple transaction translators
uhub4: vendor 0x05ac product 0x9131, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.01, addr 3
uhub4: multiple transaction translators
uhub4: device problem (STALLED), disabling port 1
uhub4: device problem (STALLED), disabling port 2
uhub4: device problem (TIMEOUT), disabling port 3

uhub3 is the KVM switch, while uhub4 is the display.
The messages are usually STALLED, but I've seen TIMEOUT (as above)
and SHORT_XFER as well.

I have tried eliminating the hub in the display from the equation,
the results are the same (the errors are on uhub3 in that case -
although I'm not 100% sure now I write this). I've tried different
hub cables (all but one came new with the switch), to no avail. The
KVM switch replaced a Sweex USB hub that had very similar problems.

Something that I think is odd is that the vendor/product ID's of the
hub in the KVM switch are listed among those in the sources, yet
looking them up apparently fails.

I compiled a kernel with DEBUG_USB enabled and attached the resulting
dmesg. I tried retrying usbd_new_device after the first failure, but
that just resulted in another STALLED message (as suggested by an XXX
remark in uhub.c).

Anything else I can do to help solve this?

Regards,
--
Alban Hertroys

				"If you throw your hands up in the air,