Date:      Sat, 17 Dec 1994 13:29:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      gibbs@uclink.berkeley.edu (Justin Theodore Gibbs)
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Upgrade info

> My last finals are nearly over, so I'm gonna upgrade my machines to 2.0 now.
> On the machine that will be changed over from SVR4, I'm changing the ESDI
> disk to a SCSI, to get around this bad144 thing, which raises a question
> for me.  My other machine runs a Adaptec 1542C, but both machines are now
> 486DX66 VL bus, so I'm wondering, in the context of FreeBSD, should I get
> another 1542 or should I go to the VL bus controller, I think it's the
> 2842 (?).  Are there any compatiblity considerations?

I just aquired a 2842 to test out the aic7770 driver with.  Working fine so
far.  There is still a strange bug that can show up on boot that I'm trying
to track down.  I get it about once every 20 boots or so.  When you probe
a target, an SCB is lost in the kernel driver (a scheduled command) and the
card reports command complete on it.  It is non destructive and usually goes
away with a warm boot.  Now that I have a little time on my hands myself,
I'll be spending more time tracking it down.  The 2842 is a much faster adaptor
than the 154x series (I have one of those too).

--
Justin