Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 20:28:55 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew <perrya@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        Keith Just <keithj@iafrica.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (Fwd) Some simple questions

> 1. What is the essential  difference between the following files
>      .cshrc
>      .login
>      .profile
.cshrc is used by the csh shell and it's derivatives (tcsh)
.profile is used by sh and derivatives (bash)
.login is used by csh etc after the .cshrc if it is a login shell

> 2. How do I set things up to use bash or bash2 as my shell
install the package using pkg_add, you'll need to download the .tgz or
.tar.gz file first. then do chpass username and change the shell to
/usr/local/bin/bash

> 3. How do I implement the use of  fvwm2 as my x-windows  manager
>
> 4. What is the meaning of this message ?
>     "Warning : imported path contains relative components."

It means that your path has either a "." in it, meaning search the current
directory when searching for a command, or some other part of your path
relative to your current directory. This is NOT RECOMMENDED as some
unfriendly user/cracker/bastard can theoretically put a command in your
path with the same name as a command you commonly run, such as ls, which
does something destructive to your system.

> 5. How do I change the hostname on the machine.
Depends on what version you are running, pre 2.2.2 users change it in
their /etc/sysconfig 2.2.2 and later change it in their /etc/rc.conf

hope this is of some help

Andrew Perry
perrya@shoal.net.au