Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:02:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      tom@kmem.org
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   if_sk driver

Hi,

I'm having trouble with a machine i just bought quite recently.
The motherboard is a ASUS P4P800 and has an onboard NIC
the NIC is seen by freebsd as :

skc0@pci2:5:0: class=0x020000 card=0x80eb1043 chip=0x170010b7 rev=0x12
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = '3COM Corp, Networking Division'
    device   = '3C940 Gigabit Ethernet PCI CODEC'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet

i'm seeing the after loading if_sk which to my knowledge supports this
device.

When i kldload if_sk i see this :

skc0: <3Com 3C940 Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem
0xfeafc000-0xfeafffff irq 11 at device 5.0 on pci2
skc0: 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940)
sk0: <Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. Yukon> on skc0
sk0: Ethernet address: 00:0e:a6:48:8d:de
sk0: no memory for list buffers!
device_probe_and_attach: sk0 attach returned 12

when i do a ifconfig , the sk0 device does not show up for configuration

my system :
FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #0: Thu Mar 18 10:52:03 GMT 2004
    root@green:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/green

i cvsupped sources, make buildkernel/installkernel yesterday

i'm not sure where i made a mistake, as i've never really had this problem
before with network cards. If someone could tell me where i went wrong i
could correct the problem.

Thanks :)

Tom