Date:      Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:39:13 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@volcano.org>
To:        Willy Offermans <Willy@Offermans.Rompen.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem support MT9234ZPX-PCIE-NV

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 09:00:09PM +0200, Willy Offermans wrote:
> Hello John and FreeBSD friends,
>
> The latter patch seems to work:
>
> >From the boot.msg:
>
> <snip>
> puc0: <Exar XR17C/D152> mem 0xfbfffc00-0xfbffffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci6
> puc0: failed to enable port mapping!
> puc0: [FILTER]
> uart0: <16750 or compatible> on puc0
> uart0: [FILTER]
> uart1: <16750 or compatible> on puc0
> uart1: [FILTER]
> </snip>
>
> As I already pointed out, I do not have a line connected to the modem yet.
> This connection will hopefully be established tomorrow. After some rigorous
> testing I will post a mail with the on stream results. On the other hand,
> if someone knows some off stream testing procedures, then I'm happy to hear
> about that. ...

Many if not most modems supporting a Hayes-style command set include
several loopback points (digital and analog) which you can turn on via
specific command.  Those commands are all non-standardized, so I can't
tell you the commands for yours, but if you can look through a user
manual or command reference you should be able to find them.

Turning on loopback should allow you to do some basic verification
tests, e.g.  pipe a file of random binary values into it while
concurrently reading it, and verify that you get the same contents.
Personally, I'd try to get the digital loopback working first, then if
that's OK try the analog loopback point.

  -- Clifton

--
   Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@iandicomputing.com / cliftonr@volcano.org
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/