Date:      Wed, 02 Aug 2000 12:11:23 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "R. David Murray" <bitz@bitdance.com>
Cc:        Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>, "Corey G." <cgaff@flashcom.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for change of /usr/src/UPDATING (was: Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer kernels)

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0008021356270.26800-100000@twirl.bitdance.com> "R. David Murray" writes:
: On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Warner Losh wrote:
: > :         <follow rebuild disk /dev entries above>        [1]
: > : -->     reboot   <--
: > :         <in single user>
: [...]
: > : This line should be "shutdown now", isn't it? Any further suggestions to
: > : make life of Warner easier?
: >
: > No.  It should be "reboot" since that's the simplest thing.  "shutdown
: > now" doesn't cause the machine to reboot, but merely causes the
: > processor to halt.  It is the same thing as "halt," unless you have
: > users on the machine, in which case they will get a nice message
: > before the machine dies....
:
: Um, not in my experience.  Shutdown now shuts you down to single
: user mode without rebooting, it does *not* do a halt.

No.  shutdown now takes you all the way down to "hit any key to
reboot"  *AND* you want to reboot.

: I thought the 'reboot' was so that you were sure the new kernel
: *would* boot before you did the installworld.  Even if the modules
: changed you can back out of the installkernel relatively easily,
: but it's a lot harder to back out of the installworld.

Yes.  You want the new kernel before you reboot.  And the new
kernel makefiles install the modules.  The reboot is to run the new
kernel so that the binaries build will run.  I'm not 100% sure if this
is still required or not, given some of marcel's recent cross building
changes.

Warner