Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 19:46:45 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?B?U/hyZW4gTmVpZ2FhcmQ=?= <neigaard@e-box.dk>
To:        "Freddie Cash" <fcash@ocis.net>
Cc:        fcash@bigfoot.vom, newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: automatic start of Apache

Sunday, September 30, 2001, 6:51:03 PM, Freddie wrote:

FC> First, this is not the right list to be asking technical questions on.  This list is for new users to
FC> discuss their experiences running FreeBSD (the good, the bad, the ugly if needed).  If you are
FC> unsure how to phrase a technical question for the freebsd-questions list, then post the info you
FC> have and ask for suggestions on making it better here.  :)  Just an FYI for next time.
Ok - Så this question as a newbie one, I will try to avoid the same mistake
again. Ok I sent this mail to the group, but I get an error trying to
send to you.

FC> If you want to be able to control its start/stop/restart a la SysV/Linux, then you can create a
FC> simple script and put it in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/  All the executable scripts in this directory are run at
FC> boot time with a "start" argument (for FreeBSD 4+, in 3- it just ran the executable scripts).
FC> The easiest script is like so:
FC> #!/bin/sh
FC> case "$1" in
FC>   start)
FC>     echo -n "apache "
FC>     /usr/local/sbin/apchectl start
FC>     ;;
FC>   stop)
FC>     /usr/local/sbin/apachectl stop
FC>     ;;
FC>   restart)
FC>     /usr/local/sbin/apachectl restart
FC>     ;;
FC>   *)
FC>     echo "Usage: $0 {start | stop | restart}"
FC>     ;;
FC> esac
I like this method best :) I can see that httpd runs as nobody. Can I
change this, and is it a good/bad idea?

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards,
 Søren Neigaard mailto:neigaard@e-box.dk