Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:50:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Donny Lee <donny@CoreBit.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to make acpi go away.

On 28-Sep-01 Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <200109270310.f8R3Asm06567@mass.dis.org> Mike Smith writes:
>: > > >  I only found this out today when my Dell inspiron7500
>: > > > refused to boot past the ACPI message..
>: > > >  Surprised me a bit as Mike has one of these.
>: > >
>: > > There's a well-documented and necessary hack to work on these
>: > > machines; the actual nature of the problem still escapes me (debugging
>: > > it is very time-consuming).
>: > >
>: > > debug.acpi.avoid="_SB_.PCI0.PX40.SIO_"
>: > >
>: > > in /boot/device.hints.
>: >
>: > that would be in loader.conf right?
>:
>: It'd probably work there as well, but I've always done it in
>: device.hints.
>
> It does work in loader.conf...

Both files are parsed identically by the boot-conf "function".  You could stick
your hints in loader.conf if you wanted to, or stick 'console="comconsole' in
device.hints if you wanted to.  Their content is determined more by their
purpose.  I.e., device hints in device.hints, and loader tweaks in loader.conf.
I suppose ACPI debug options relate to the kernel and not the loader, so
device.hints is perhaps the more "accurate" place.