Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:20:47 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Steve Reid <sreid@alpha.sea-to-sky.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail, dialup connection, multiple users.

On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 02:54:43PM -0700, Steve Reid <sreid@alpha.sea-to-sky.net> wrote:

> The FAQ details how to change the domain name on outgoing mail to match
> that of the ISP. But what do you do when there are multiple users on the
> system, who's email addresses have different domain names, and who's
> local user names don't match their user names in their email addresses?
>
> My hostname is "grok", the domain name I'm using is simply "nodomain".
> These are a couple of my users:
>
> Local user           Email address
> steve@grok.nodomain  sreid@sea-to-sky.net
> vern@grok.nodomain   figaro6@hotmail.com
>
> Each user can set the From: line in the mail headers just fine using
> most MUAs, but when the local sendmail tries to deliver the message it
> seems to be telling the remote MTA that our hostname is "grok.nodomain",
> and many sites (including freebsd.org) refuse to accept mail from us
> because "grok.nodomain" is bogus.
>
> Is it sufficient to set sendmail's idea of the domain to some other
> random domain name that does exist (like "hotmail.com"), and depend on
> the From: line in the mail to get return mail going where it's supposed
> to? If I were to do that, would error messages relating to
> "steve@grok.nodomain" end up going to "steve@hotmail.com" instead of
> "sreid@sea-to-sky.net"?? Is there anything else I can do???
>
> Also, the FAQ refers to M4-processable configuration files in
> /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf. It says that if you have the CDROM you
> can get those files by installing the /cdrom/dists/src/ssmailcf.aa
> distfile. Where do you get those files if you don't have a recent CD?  I
> checked ftp.freebsd.org in the 3.2-RELEASE/src directory but could not
> find any ssmailcf.aa distfile.

The sendmail distribution itself is in the /usr/src/contrib/sendmail
directory and the freebsd.mc is in the /usr/src/etc/sendmail directory.
I don't know sendmail well, but it seems you need to look at
genericstable feature. Also the masquerade_envelope can be something to
look at. I really don't know exactly. Grab the sources using anonymous
cvs, the real distribution is behind contrib_sendmail module. Well, it
seems to me that sendmail has rich documentation but this is poorly
organized. I'm newbie, thought.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee