Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2013 01:41:40 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Finding exactly which commands, and in which order, rc is running at startup

On 22 August 2013, at 13:07, Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com> wrote:

> Greetings again. After doing a freebsd-update, my system is starting =
up differently than it was before. I want to figure out why before I =
come here and say "it's broken".
>=20
> Is there a way to say "show me all of the commands you are running =
during startup"? It would be grand if I could say "tell me what you =
would do next time (dry run)", but "what did you do last time" is OK =
too.

You can add:

rc_debug=3D"YES"

to /etc/rc.conf and that might give you what you need.  According to the =
man page it will "produces copious output to the terminal and syslog(3)"=