Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 2010 01:19:13 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Masoom Shaikh <masoom.shaikh@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD sources from svn repos

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:51:26 +0000, Masoom Shaikh <masoom.shaikh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am confused about FreeBSD versions maintained in svn repos
>
> 1. http://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/8.0/
> 2. http://svn.freebsd.org/base/release/8.0.0/
> 3. http://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/8/
>
> (2) is easy, most probably it means stable
>
> how about (1) and (2)

You got confused a bit.  Here's a slightl better description of all
three paths:

http://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/8/

    This is the same as the tag RELENG_8 in CVS.  It is the 'stable
    branch' and is receiving commits that are in all the branches of the
    8.X series.

http://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/8.0/

    This is the 'security branch' for release 8.0.  The security-officer
    takes over this branch when our release engineer are done with the
    preparation of the 8.0-RELEASE.  This is essentially the same as the
    RELENG_8_0 branch in CVS.

http://svn.freebsd.org/base/release/8.0.0/

    This is essentially a 'tag'.  It is a copy of the stable/8 branch at
    the point where the 8.0-RELEASE was cut.  This is the same as the
    RELENG_8_0_0_RELEASE tag in CVS.