Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 1995 13:03:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        angio@aros.net (Dave Andersen)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crash questions

> Lo and behold, David Greenman once said:
>
> >    Can you tell me what version of FreeBSD you're running? I think this is
> > caused by a page table page being paged out during a very narrow window when
> > a new process is being forked. I added some checks in the fork code that
> > should cause the machine to panic earlier if this is really the problem.
>
>    2.1.0 950726-SNAP
>
> > During the entire operational time of wcarchive (about 2 years), I've seen the
> > above panic a total of _1_ time...so I can't say that I haven't seen it, but I
> > do think it is very rare. I'll add it to my whiteboard so I don't forget about
> > it. I don't know if I'll be able to fix it before the 2.1 release, however, as
> > it might require an architectural change to fix...but I will look into it.
>
>     Ack. :)  We crashed again this morning - the machine just sort of
> froze, and one of the people here had to reboot it.  No kernel panic
In this case , it's vital you get a kernel with DDB in it
so that if it freezes again, you can get into DDB
and do a ps, as well as other likely things..

At one stage my dmesg's were carrying over between boots which
was great because I could capture all the info on the next boot

Not sure when this started or of it works with your machine.....

(of course the call "upgrade upgrade" was heard all through the town..
SNAPS aren't expected to be too stable even if it IS a 2.1 snap..)

julian