Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:41:55 -0700
From:      Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc@home.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall hangs on installing Gnome

On 11-28 23:03, Santhosh Joseph wrote:
> On Tue 27 Nov 01 22:48, you wrote:
>
> > I started up a GNOME app, and KDE saved that config when I quit. Now I
> > don't know how to stop GNOME toolbars from starting with KDE....it's really
> > obnoxious. Then, I changed to GNOME, and tried to change to Enlightenment
> > (I installed Enlightenment) instead of twm. When I exited and ran startx, I
> > get blank screen with nothing, when I use GNOME. So I'm back to KDE for now
> > (with the annoying GNOME toolbars I don't know how to get rid of).
> >

> Try renaming .kde directory to say .kde1. Similarly rename .gnome ane
> .gnome-private to another name quit X. Set the window manager as KDE as start
> X. Once KDE works properly try GNOME.  Obviously, you'll have to redo the
> configuration of your KDE and GNOME environment.
>
> As root user, I always faced problems with GNOME-Enlightnment/twm etc. As
> normal user it did work without much problems.

Thanks. Since I posted that, I did get out the big hammer. :) I didn't have
much to reconfigure. Now I'm just wondering how one would do it more
delicately than the scorched-earth method.

BTW, I'm running as a normal user. Running things as root on a regular basis
gives me the willies.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc@home.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome