Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:36:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   userland PPP giving weird load numbers

I've had this problem since 2.1x, and it appaears to still happen
occasionally in 2.2-ALPHA:

mark:{105}/home/mark % w
 8:14AM  up 46 mins, 3 users, load averages: 0.99, 0.97, 0.88
USER     TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
mark     p1  :0.0              7:28AM    45 -tcsh (tcsh)
mark     p2  :0.0              7:28AM     - w
mark     p3  :0.0              7:32AM    37 ppp

the ppp process causes the high load (which isn't real, BTW). Top shows it
as not doing a thing. As soon as I kill ppp off, the load drops right back
down.

A friend of mine gets the exact same thing regularily in 2.1.5, and
although it rarely happens to me these days, it happens enough to make me
curious about what's going on here :-)

-mark

| Mark Mayo		  mark@quickweb.com       |
| RingZero Comp.  	  vinyl.quickweb.com/mark |
"To iterate is human, to recurse divine."
		- L. Peter Deutsch