Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 14:53:17 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some observations on stream.c and streamnt.c

At 02:41 PM 1/21/2000 , Gene Harris wrote:

> >  A poor test, IMHO. It's disk-intensive and CPU-intensive,
> >  but not network-intensive. Also, other conditions can
>
>True, but again, putting together a test on short notice,
>one uses the tools at hand.  ;-)

Yep, I understand this quite well. Darren saw results that
seem more typical; you might ask him what his configuration
was.

>Yes, there is a gateway.  No packet storm was noticed
>between any segments.

The packet storm seems to brew between the victim and
its router. The router settings may matter. If multicast
addresses are used, I could imagine that other machines
on the LAN might get involved, though I have not checked
this.

> >  I've made an NT/IIS server virtually inaccessible using
> >  the same exploit.
>
>Hmmm...  We need to compare detailed notes, because I saw no
>affect what-so-ever.  I also have the ability to put the
>server on the inet for you to test against, if you would
>like.  However, I see that we both ran the same "bad" test.
>*grin*

The difference may be that I was exercising IIS specifically.
Exercising the back-end database probably doesn't affect
the LAN.

>Again, there will be better tests, but the attack is
>supposed to take a long path thru the kernel.

That's ONE of its problems. Some of the fixes that have
been proposed on this list can cut the time to recognize
that the packet is bogus by more than half.

>It ultimately
>kills the machine (supposedly) because it overwhelms the
>target's ability to process packets.

Not just that. I suspect that it runs out of buffers
because it's queueing up RST packets and ICMP packets. And
discarding important incoming packets in the process.
(Which is another thing you'll see in a test: the more
INPUT the server needs to accept, the more it will be
affected.)

>I firmly disagree with your observation on NT.

I'm willing to believe that you saw different results than
me in your test setup. But I saw a big impact on mine.

--Brett