Date:      Fri, 17 May 2013 08:45:29 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: List Spam Filtering

On Fri, 17 May 2013 13:19:32 +0100
RW articulated:

> On Fri, 17 May 2013 12:54:29 +0100
> Bruce Cran wrote:
>
> > On 17/05/2013 11:42, Jerry wrote:
> > > Seriously? If some potential poster were so brain dead that
> > > he/she could not comprehend how to subscribe to the mailing list
> > > then I would seriously doubt that they would possess the
> > > necessary skills to install and run FreeBSD to begin with. Lets
> > > be honest here. All that the present system does is act as an
> > > enabler for Spam merchants and Trolls.
> >
> > Yes, seriously.  Have you seen the number of people who post
> > messages "PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM THIS MAILING LIST!!", apparently
> > not understanding how to manage their subscription?
>
> There's also the likelyhood that reluctant subscribers are less likely
> to take care about avoiding various types of backscatter.

Well, unless the reluctant subscriber is running an incorrectly
configured MTA, I don't see a problem with "backscatter". Now, if they
do have a maladjusted MTA, they have more problems then just
subscribing to a list.

> It seems to me that the level of spam in list is pretty much
> negligible.

That would be a subjective statement. It is like asking how many times
you have to slap your wife before you are considered a wife beater.
Interestingly enough, the FBI won't classify you as a serial killer
until you have killed a minimum of three people.

--
Jerry ♔