Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 23:04:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user account gone awry

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, R Joseph Wright wrote:

> > Send the output of the following commands (run as the user in question):
> >
> > ls -load ~
>
> How about this:
> drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel - 512 Feb 15 19:12 /root

Good... But you shouldn't be using /root as your home directory as a user.
Almost certainly, your password file has been modified (maybe by you? :-)

> > id
>
> uid=1000(joseph) gid=1000(joseph) groups=1000(joseph), 0(wheel),
> 69(network)

Looks normal enough.

> > Things to check for:
> >
> > In ls output, does your username show up as the owner of the directory? If
> > you get a numerical uid instead of your username, that may be a sign that
> > your uid has been altered. Can you read and execute it?  Does du output
> > anything at all, or does it say permission denied?  Does the output of id
> > make sense?  Does your uid match what it is supposed to be?
>
> It seems to think that my home directory is /root, even though id shows
> I am user "joseph".  If I "startx", it even brings me into root's
> desktop.

Yes... It looks that way.  Did you rebuild your password database with
pwd_mkdb after the upgrade?  You should do so.  If that doesn't fix it,
almost certainly something got changed.  Either edit /etc/master.passwd
and fix your home directory from /root to /home/joseph, or run chsh joseph
as root and change the home directory line.

> > Also, if that first ls says permission denied, then the permissions on
> > /home or /usr/home are in question.  Try ls -load /home instead.
>
> The permissions of /home are:
> lrwxrwxrwx root wheel

Wow!  It is generally a very Bad Idea to make /home world writeable.  I
recommend permissions of 755 unless you have a VERY good reason
to do otherwise.  (I can't think of one).

> It won't let me see the permissions on /home/joseph unless logged in as
> root.  But they are as they should be:
> drwxr-xr-x joseph joseph

Good enough.  If you don't place public files in /home/joseph, and run
with multiple users, you may want to be more draconian about it and go
with 700 or 750, but 755 is relatively normal for home directories.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>	50% Owner, Sysadmin
  SaskNow Technologies     		http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   		Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2