Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 23:42:18 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "Brandon S. Allbery  KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>, ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>, Matthew Gilbert <agilbertm@earthlink.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE crashes - suspects new ata-driver over wd-drivers

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 11:23:01PM +0100, Søren Schmidt stood up and spoke:
> It seems Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >     Ok, I have more information on Nils problem.  First of all, Soren's
> >     patch greatly reduced the rate of corruption.  It took 25 loops of
> >     Nils 'cp' test to generate the corruption.
>
> Hmm, did the second change I posted change anything ?

I did not apply your second patch - should I try it? I guess it cannot
hurt.

> >     However, Soren's patch did not fiix the corruption.  The same exact
> >     corruption is occuring.  In Nils case it is always the same exact
> >     location in VM -- a certain bit (or byte) in the middle of the nfsnode
> >     hash table.  Hardware watch points indicate that the cpu is NOT modifying
> >     this location, so I really doubt that it is a kernel bug.
>
> If the BIOS has the option to disable "page mode" access to RAM try
> to switch that off, it has shown problems here (as I mentioned in
> another mail)

I will have a look at the BIOS and check for that.

> My patch is based on the info from VIA and from various other sources
> plus lots of testing here in the lab.

Probably it may be helpful if I know how you have done your testing, so
that I could try it here. As Matt said, your patch gave me 25 successful
NFS copy runs, while previously I'd only get at the most 5. Probably I
should do the same test you have done and see what happens here.

> Sure, this one turns off ATA100 support (note its for -current, but
> should be easily applied to -stable) in the same fashion ATA66 can
> be turned off etc. However under -current you can just use atacontrol
> to set the wanted transfermode, no patch is needed there.

I guess that's just the patch that Matt would want me to try out next, so
I'll set it up and let my machine run over the night and see if it crashes
;-)

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany