Date:      Sun, 01 Jun 2014 09:00:37 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>
Subject:   Re: fdisk(8) vs gpart(8), and gnop

On Sun, 2014-06-01 at 08:36 -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2014, Ian Lepore wrote:

> >> gpart's -a will not properly align MBR's slices due to enforced CHS...
> >
> > Maybe this is naive, but... can't we just *fix* that?
>
> Thread starts here:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-geom/2014-February/005835.html
>
> > For the longest time geom would warn about "geometry does not match
> > label" that had something to do with different parts of the code
> > calculating different CHS values.  Eventually it was decided to remove
> > the unactionable message, and my vague memory is that the justification
> > was basically "because CHS is meaningless to geom and modern BIOSen."
> >
> > If there's some "it would cause problems on this ancient hardware that
> > only 3 people in the world use" (I'm usually one of those people -- we
> > support some old equipment in the field at $work), then maybe there
> > could be a flag that enables the old CHS alignment behavior.
>
> Short form of above: gpart is supposed to hide and handle underlying
> GEOM issues, so it needs an override to be able to create these
> "non-standard" MBRs with slices aligned to arbitrary values.

Hmm.  If it takes a special "do what I actually said" flag, that's okay
I guess.

My problem with that thread is the implicit assumption that CHS
alignment is required by *something* but there's no evidence what that
something is, other than "MBR has always in the past been CHS aligned."
I don't have enough knowledge in this area to contradict that
assumption, I'm just always skeptical of "thus it was spoken in 1982 and
thus it will always be" as an argument against sensible change.  Looking
at what's done on other modern OSes seems reasonable, for example.

And then of course there's the matter of a conclusion (perhaps not 100%
satisfying, but workable) having been reached, and yet code was never
changed.  Not that I can volunteer to do it right now, I'm already
overcomitted.

-- Ian