Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 06:47:45 -0800
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CAM and CD Ripping

At 05:50 11/3/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>At 06:44 PM 11/2/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>In my recent craze to rip many-a-cd and encode them into MP3 for
>>portable playing, I utilized multiple machines. You guessed it, my
>>FreeBSD server too.
>>
>>My FreeBSD server has an UltraWideSCSI 20X Cdrom. It shows up as
>>10MB/Sec in the dmesg.
>>
>>The thing rips at 16-18X (no problems. i use tosha), compared to 2X on
>>my 24X IDE here. Is this because of CAM or is my CDROM hardware
>>extraordinary?
>
>Uh, you _HAVE_ a 16X ripper? Fastest CD-R(W) I've seen released has
>been an 8X. And the fastest hardware I've seen CD-R(W) drives built
>to use has been Ultra SCSI 2 (my Yamaha CRW4416S). Plus, I've never
>seen media designed to handle anything faster than 8X burn..
>
>I'd certainly like to hear from somebody who knows more about this
>than I do, and prove me wrong. :)

I believe you're confusing "ripping" with "burning".

Ripping, aka DAE (digital audio extraction) is the process of extracting
the CD audio tracks to .wav or similar format files.  This is done on
normal CD-ROMS (or DVDs or CD-R(W)s) with varying success depending on
their quality.

Burning is what you do in a CD-R.  The fancy new ones are 8x, like you
said, as is much of the good media.

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com