Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:36:13 +1300
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   need some advice on making a port of java program.

Hi.

I'm working on getting a FreeBSD port of XT going - An XSL processor written
in Java.  I'm making a FreeBSD port for it while I'm at it.

XSL is the W3C's stylesheet language for XML, currently at working draft stage.

I haven't done any development with Java in the past, and this isn't really a
Java project.  I just want this application for command line use.  Could
someone a bit more familiar with Java suggest where a port of this program
should put it's class files in the FreeBSD file system?

I see that  /usr/ports/devel/sawt puts it's class files in a .zip file in
/usr/local/share/java Is this the  way to proceed then?  Since XT is designed
likely to be run server side as part of a web server arrangement and needs to
be fast, I'd rather not compress the file, but I'd welcome recomendations as
to whether I should use a .jar file or perhaps the class files should be
unpacked within that directory?

Also, XT relies on having a SAX parser, and I've used XP from the  same
source. This in turn relies on the W3C SAX classes.  Any thoughts on whether
these should be separate ports with dependencies, or a single port?

TIA

Andrew McNAughton