Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:55:13 +0000
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   rasputin@submonkey.net: Re: HTTP_PROXY from /etc/make.conf?

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:54:33 +0000
From: Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
To: Alan Clegg <alan@clegg.com>
Subject: Re: HTTP_PROXY from /etc/make.conf?

* Alan Clegg <alan@clegg.com> [020207 14:15]:
> Unless the network is lying to me again, Nora Etukudo said:
>
> > I've a Squid-Proxy here and it works not, if I set 'ftp_proxy' too. With
> > 'http_proxy' only, the 'fetch' works for both 'ftp://'- and 'http://'- urls.
>
> As a followup to this, does anyone think that it might be feasable for
> the ports and/or system make files to set HTTP_PROXY from /etc/make.conf?
>
> I have a number of systems on which this would allow me to 'fire-and-forget'
> when doing updates...  ;-)

If you set it in /etc/profile, fetch will use it.
Either that or my cablemodem can do 2Mb/sec all of a sudden.

Incidentally, squid is a http_proxy, not an ftp_proxy - fetch knows how
to tunnel ftp over http (which squid supports by default), if its given
a http_proxy URL. Mozilla/Netscape groks this too (which is why you set ftp proxy
separately in its preferences).

That's why it breaks if you try  setting ftp_proxy.

--
Know thyself.  If you need help, call the C.I.A.
Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns ::