Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 01:53:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au (Daniel O'Connor)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAM crashes

Daniel O'Connor wrote...

> On 08-Sep-98 Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> >       Believe it or not, I just reproduced the panic on a -current SMP
> >  CAM box.  The stack trace is almost identical.
> Wohoo! :)

	Well, it's a lucky thing I've got a serial console hooked up to the
machine. :)

> >       It really looks like a problem with shared memory, or perhaps
> >  cdda2wav's use of it, rather than a CAM problem.  Notice the stack trace
> >  comes from the shared memory code, not from anything in the CAM code.

> Yeah, I haven't had the opportunity to test cdda2wav under a non-CAM system, so
> I don't know if this is a CAM related problem or not.

	I would be interested to see if you can reproduce it with a non-CAM
system.  If you can't reproduce it, that's not necessarily an indication
that it's CAM's fault -- it could be that CAM exacerbates the problem.  If
you can reproduce it, then it's clearly a generic FreeBSD problem, most
likely with the shared memory/VM code.

	In the mean time, if you want to dump audio off a CD, I'd suggest
using tosha.  It has worked fine for me, and I've used it to dump tracks
off CDs which I later burned onto CD-Rs using cdrecord.

	The tosha and cdrecord ports are available here:

ftp://ftp.kdm.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry