Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 11:42:24 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ivan Carey <icarey@bigpond.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to use fixit

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 03:48:27PM +1000, Ivan Carey wrote:

> Can you please tell me where I may be able to find how to use the
> fixit utility?

There isn't a `fixit' program as such.  What the fixit floppy does is
provide a way for you to get around problems in the boot process that
prevent your machine getting to any sort of usable state.  Essentially
it's a miniature system image on a floppy with the most useful unix
tools squeezed onto it.  Once you've booted from the fixit floppy,
you're expected to mount your hard drive and go in and edit files and
such like to make your system bootable again.

http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/4-STABLE/installation/i386/trouble.html

> I have had a need to use the fixit utility to fix a problem with my
> system after upgrading from 4.3 to 4.6.

Most problems can be resolved without using the fixit floppy.  If you
have got your machine into such a state that you can't even boot to
single user mode and the fixit floppy is your only hope, then unless
you are a whizz with low-level unix stuff, you may find it more
profitable to do a re-install.

Why don't you post some more detail about exactly what the problem is?
Chances are someone will know how to help you out.

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK