Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 20:23:30 +0200
From:      "Manuel Kasper" <mk@neon1.net>
To:        <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'Howard Jones'" <howie@thingy.com>
Subject:   RE: Guide to reducing FreeBSD (a.k.a miniBSD :)

> Anyway, it's good to see a little more info on the web about=20
> how to do this.
> I still don't really understand what the difference is=20
> between this and
> picobsd - is it just the ramdisk vs normal fs, or is there some other
> dividing line?

Well, as I said - PicoBSD was too minimalistic for me (after all it was
designed to fit on a single floppy disk...). I wanted an almost fully
usable system with only the things stripped that I'm sure I would never
need - and without using any stuff like crunchgen. I mean, at the price
64 MB CF cards have today compared to the price of an SBC like the
net4501, it does not make sense to cram FreeBSD in 2 MBs when you have
60 MB left, only to find every now and then that just the tool you need
at the moment is not on your SBC. YMMV...

I've got the following things on my todo (to-try :) list:

- see what difference (space-wise) the dynamic linking of binaries in
/bin and /sbin makes (suggested by Eugene Grosbein). If it doesn't make
a big difference, I won't bother. If it does (I suspect that ;), I'll
integrate it as an optional step in my guide, along with the due
warnings that in case of emergency it might make things more difficult
(as Darren pointed out).

- try a method suggested by Jerry Hicks to do all the hacking on miniBSD
in a chroot jail as not to mess with the base system.

- write a perl script that uses ldd to extract a list of libraries from
all the binaries installed in your miniBSD directory, so only those
libraries which are necessary have to be copied (I've received an
example as a shell script already from tho, thanks!)

- directory trees could be made using make ... distrib-dirs / make ...
distribution (suggested by Samuel)

- mount -u -o ro / is probably dangerous (I'll do some research on this
and add a warning to the guide)

I hope I'll find some time this weekend to try these things and revise
my guide.

Thanks to all who have contributed their ideas, I really appreciate it!

Manuel