Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 1996 20:56:05 -0600 (CST)
To:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: passwd linux and FreeBSD

In reply:
> Try to imagine, that by some wonderful inspiration
> some person outside the US managed to write code,
> that looks like DES, talks like DES, walks like DES.
>
> You got the picture ?
>
> And now he gives this code to somebody else outside
> the US, without it ever going through the US.
>
> You can imagine that ?
>
> This might help you understand why the people working
> on the security and encryption code in FreeBSD have
> mail adresses ending in ".za" and ".au" and why the
> host "ftp.internat.freebsd.org" is located in South
> Africa ...

I also noted the inclusion [in at least 2.1] of the libdes package.  I've used
this package for years, and it works great [and fast!].

kind of screwed up though that i can import that from .au, but cannot send it
back, even unchanged, all i can say is that as long as we keep electing
idiots...

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or