Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 21:31:06 -0700
From:      "Erik Stainsby" <stainsby@telus.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   network setup gone bad -- boot hanging

<plea type='help!'>

Here's what I (think) I did:

I had ppp up and running, then tried to establish an IP address on ep0 as
follows
using /stand/sysinstall -> Configure -> Networks -> Interfaces -> ep0
hostname: home    domain: (either balnk or lets.net, my reg'd domain)
IP:  10.0.0.10    dns:  <IP of dial-up providers DNS server - it was preset)
gateway: 10.0.0.10    (this would have conflicted with the 0.0.0.0 of ppp)

On completing the fields in the form I answered yes to bringing the iface
up, and stepped back out of sysinstall.  Nothing seemed ot have happened. It
was then I noticed I have zero activity on the hub for that computer.

Using ifconfig -a I saw that ep0 was reading alright, correct port address,
and the MAC was showing.  I attempted to bring up the interface by hand,
something like:
ifconfig ep0 10.0.0.10 up

The system hung. Completely. No virtual terminals, no timeouts, not even a
complaining beep from a full keyboard buffer. Dead locked.

With no way to exit gracefully I power cycled the puppy.  It now locks at
"Doing initial network setup: hostname."  It has been sitting here for half
an hour this last (third) time I have hard booted.

I guess at this point I need two things:

1) to be walked thru mounting FBSD HD by hand from the installation
floppies, if possible;

2) to have a clue as to which file(s) need to be cleaned out, and what sort
of values I need to be looking at removing.

I would start mucking about in /etc/networks, then in the rc 's -- But does
anyone have an educated guess what i need to look for?

The system is my first attempt at FreeBSD  --  3.3-RELEASE  -- and this is
my third ground-up installation on the same box.  There is a single
dedicated 2G IDE HD installed; no boot loader.  This time round I went with
the X-User preprofiled installation (Amnesiac).

Waiting patiently, but forlorn,
Erik
stainsby@telus.net

</plea>