Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 13:41:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MIME applications for FreeBSD

> But what do we do if "MIME application/msword" takes over 90 percent of
> email traffic (like msword has done with wp)? Imagine what this
> list would be like... Ugh.

So make the list manager "MIME aware" so it decodes and reencodes
mail coming through it, stripping attachments that it doesn't like.

> We are prevented from reverse engineering by the licence for msword
> (I guess, since other MS products have that clause). MS is unlikely
> to publicly document Word file format.

"We" is very broad here.  Most Europeans, especially Germans, are
not prevented from reverse engineering file formats or other
interfaces.  The US agreed to this when the US became a Berne
signatory.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---